Wednesday, February 29, 2012

mmmm Jesus.

I think my heart just actually broke for the fashion industry. I'm tearing up as I'm realizing that, while I always thought they had what I needed, the reverse is true. I have what they're looking for: unfailing love.

"What a man desires is unfailing love..." Proverbs 19:22 I cannnot get enough of this verse. I keep learning more and more from it. The root of every sin and every addiction and every misguided passion comes from this desire for unfailing love; looking for it in the wrong place.

And again, I'm reminded of this verse, and why I'm here...I'll just let the word of God be my words and my purpose this morning:
"The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners...to comfort ALL who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion--to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD for the display of his splendor. They will rebuild the ancient ruins and restore the places long devastated; they will renew the ruined cities that have been devastated for generations." (Isaiah 61:1, 3-4)

"I delight greatly in the LORD; my soul rejoices in my God. For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels." (Isaiah 61:10)

My zealousy toward Jesus just became overwhelming to the point I almost feel sick. I feel so strongly that there's nothing I desire but Christ, yet I know that I'm going to mess up and sin again, and the thought makes me want to rip my skin off. I'm so angry because hard as I try, I can't stay "good" for more than 5 seconds...honestly, not even that long. And maybe that's what I needed to learn this morning. How desperately my very flesh cries out for Christ, because without redemption, I would surely die. I couldn't stand to be alive knowing that I was hopeless to be good, and had no redemption from it. I'm finally realizing how undeserving I am of the life I have. I don't mean even the material things I'm blessed with: shelter, food, clothes, money...none of that. I mean my pulse. I mean my breath. I don't even mean physical or mental health. I mean the opportunity to be a human being, made for the very purpose to glorify my maker. And that, despite my desperate attempts to do Him wrong in my darkest moments, I do glorify Him. Because He is the one who makes beauty from ashes. He is the one who chooses the poor. He chooses the wayward. He brings them home, into a life full of wonder.
I'm picturing a plantation manor, in the dead of winter, surrounded by a snowstorm. The door is red, foretelling of the overwhelming warmth that wraps you as you enter. Discomfort isn't an option inside the manor; though, just a step outside would kill all comfort you carry. There are red velvet love seats near the fireplace,dark moss colored carpets stretch out over the deep brown hardwood floor, and Jesus wraps you in blankets and lays you down to rest there. This is where Jesus wants to bring us. Into rest. It glorifies the Father to have a house full of children that love Him...playing, laughing, singing, dancing, and resting in the warmth of His presence.And why wouldn't we want to be there? Anywhere else is the snowstorm.
All of us inside eagerly await the summer's arrival: when Jesus comes back and creates the new heaven and new earth. Then we will get to experience even more of the splendor of God. But in the meantime, we get to rest with him.
I think I understand my calling more now. That everyone who is outside the home--whether they're a model in New York, or an orphan in Africa, or someone in Franklin--they're all outside in the same snowstorm, and God has called me to bring them home. Bring them into the warmth. Bring them into rest; they don't have to fight for themselves anymore.
This is all of our call.
What a sweet life it is with the Father. I'm so happy to be a child in his household. Lord, help me to never forget this image. I want everyday to be a day in the warmth of your presence, and the grace of your laughter. There's nothing I want more.
And how like you this is, to bring me from a broken heart, straight into hope. How like you!
Love you, Papa.

No comments:

Post a Comment